| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: ORIGINAL FINISH YES or NO

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 3/29/5 15:07

In Response To: Re: ORIGINAL FINISH YES or NO (James Schooley)

I wouldn't go so far as to say I could ALWAYS tell if something was refinished...especially because I work with a lot of antiques, and I, like many restorers that have learned to simulate age, make it a point to study what makes a finish look old and then duplicate that to the best of my ability...as well as what James lists, there are also issues of patination, natural damages that happen in the course of every day usage,dents, dings, splits, old repair work, shrinkage and expansion and it's effect on a finish,and previous areas of finish blending and repair,sun bleaching of the wood,etc...all these parts make up the sum of what an "original" finish should be...to an untrained eye it can be difficult to evaluate a finish accurately...there are very few "antiques" around that have survived totally untouched in the area of finish repair and/or restoration...when all that is absent from an older piece of furniture, it becomes fairly apparent that something has been done to the original finish....this is the case in your chair pictures, Michelle....the wood looks too "clean"...especially in the areas of the carvings and joints...and the new finish clearly does not represent the age of the frame..

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.