| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Unsrewing Old Brass Screws

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 3/17/5 18:16

In Response To: Re: Unsrewing Old Brass Screws (James Schooley)

Many Older European screw slots are narrower than American screws and take a thinner bladed screwdriver. You can grind down a screwdriver blade to fit, just remember to not overheat the metal, and quench as you grind to keep the blade tip hard.Many times you will have to resort to fixing a buggered slot in order to facilitate the removal...and a Dremel or Air powered die grinder will be your best friend, with a cut-off wheel...Dremel part #426 (reinforced cut off wheel) for the Dremel..and a .035 cut off wheel for the air tool, you can regrind the slot (CAREFULLY!) which will give you a whole new bite on the screw...although you'll have to replace the screw....I buy boxes of old screws from Barn sales and tag sales ....it's getting harder and harder to find slotted screws, let alone rusted or distressed ones...so I hunt for them where ever I can and buy them up because I do alot of antiques...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.