| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: still learning after 35 years

Posted By: Bob Klein <bobklein1@cox.net> (ip68-1-111-93.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: 3/12/5 18:12

In Response To: Re: still learning after 35 years (Greg Scholl)

Roger, Keep in mind that you are indeed a professional. You alone know your skill levels and your expenses. It is hard for me to remember that I am in business because everyone in our business is there because they like it adn I am no exception to that!!

The guy you mentioned that charges a minimum of $285--well good for him. He had better be the most skilled ever...besides, he is an insulting bimbo. Don't let it get to you, he has to live with his ego.

I might mention on your prices, if you are well skilled, and you sound like you are from reading your posts--RAISE YOUR PRICES--40-50$ per hour. I have an hourly I use but mostly I do not mention it to customers, I just price the job. Some I will give them the rate.

Another point you touched on-the worth of the item-I will tell the customer up front that the cost "of doing your 4 x 6 foot table is going to cost more that to replace it". Very seldom does that matter. In fact, the only times I can recall that it made a difference is when the damage or reason for refinishing is due to a disaster of some sort (many hurricanes here, flood, rain type damage), those folks are trying to get their lives back together and have to be treated differently. If I tell someone under normal curcumstances that the 1940's mahogany stained poplar Duncan Phyfe style chair will cost 200$ to strip, reglue, and finish plus upholstery, seldom do they decline if they like the set. But I am getting long winded and the pizza man just knocked on the door...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.