| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Replacing the roll top on roll top desk

Posted By: robert coles <belimpex@optonline.net> (ool-182e21eb.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: 3/12/5 13:53

In Response To: Replacing the roll top on roll top desk (Donna Stouder)

That's a tough one... Check the whole construction of your desk. If the roll is gliding in mouldings, you can pry the moulding off ( one side should be enough to remove and re-insert the roll ) . If the guides are routed in the sides of a case construction, you have to A) dismantle the case and remount it or B) Repair the roll without any dismantling. How? Without seeing the damaged roll, I can only imagine solutions. I would look into "repairing" the roll. I would see if I couls cut off the dammaged strips of the roll. Then remove them. I would then use strips from the new roll. One at the time, these should be flexible enough to insert them while cantes, in the grooves. Then, I would use fabric to "glue" these new strips to the rest of the roll. Let's hope the rolls are of the same color, hue, sheen etc...

If the you have to "unglue", you could try to dissolve the glue with some light ( 25%) vinegar solution. Pay attention not to "dunk" the visible parts. Cover them with blue masking tape. This could take a week, with two applications per day. Use a seringe. I hope the glue that was used is water soluble or heat sensitive, such as white glue. If it is outside yellow glue, epoxy, polurethane, urea, resorcinol, you are out of luck.

Send me some pix of your repair!

- robert -

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.