| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: still learning after 35 years

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-223-235.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 3/6/5 18:33

In Response To: Re: still learning after 35 years (Greg Scholl)

I have used the drill method successfully before. Right now my problem is with nails drilled diagonally into the bottom of the spindles...they were put there at the factory! Sort of cheap chairs but worth spending the money to fix. It makes me nervous using one of my 75 year old handmade chisles so near to steel but I'll try it.

Has anyone ever tried that Chair Doctor stuff? Its supposed to swell the wood and gets injected with a syringe through a small hole. I have some but it doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I'm sure that Gorilla Glue would work in a joint as it foams up and expands as it dries, but it is really thick and won't readily go through a needle. I'm going to try and heat it up with the hopes it will become more viscous.

Just as an aside........I used to turn my nose up at chair repairs but they are suddenly becoming my bread and butter. They are quick and dirty jobs but profitable. Refinishing jobs oftentimes take weeks to complete but a chair can often be done in a day or so if I only need one glue-up. I get anywhere from $50 to $75 per chair. It keeps me in beer money! The bigger jobs buy me tools.

I know we all hate it when people come in here to ask how much something is worth but I'm going to ask anyway. I picked up an old swivel desk chair. Quarter sawn white oak with medullary rays. They are pretty common and built like an M 1 tank but an interior design store I work with told me it may be worth a few hundred. Any ideas on value? I have a chance to pick up 3 more for free.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.