| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

trunks

Posted By: Peggy <mewdawgs@yahoo.com> (res-68-119-202-144.spa.sc.charter.com)
Date: 3/6/5 08:32

I inherited two wonderful trunks from our family estate. The first is very dark brown or black finish with a light wood design. The designs on the ends are soldiers fighting an animal The animal has a horse's tail and ears, a "mane" that is drawn similar to scales like a serpent. Otherwise, there are no other realistic features. The soldier is stabbing the animal in the stomach and head. The front is two sets of soldiers walking towards each other. There is another animal on the top - similar to the others, but has a lion's tail. Dove tailed. No writing or tags anywhere. I do not know the age, origin, or type of wood used. The dark part of the surface is "rippled" - it looks like a carver's tool was used - it is uneven and in no particular desing. The lighter wood is smooth, even shiny and satiny in some place.

The second - a chest my great, great(?) grandfather carryied with him on the railways. He was a conductor. It is very dark stained or painted, with his name on the inside and outside of the top. His name is painted on in a very decorative style. There is a lock (haven't found the key yet), but the hardware in the top has been removed.

So, to my questions. On the first trunk - best method for getting general dirt off so I can see what is under it better? There is a faint ring on the top - how to make it as minimal as possible? Has anyone seen anything similar to this trunk?

Second trunk - the dark stain or paint is worn away on the top in scattered places. Again - how to get dirt off with out removing natural aging?

I appreciate your time and attention.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.