| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: still learning after 35 years

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-213-38.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 3/5/5 20:18

In Response To: Re: still learning after 35 years (James Schooley)

Good ideas guys but here is one I am ruuning across all to often. People try and repair furniture themselves. The most common is of course hot glue glopped around the joint (but not in it). Second method is screws and nails. Screws present no problem but nails?....... nasty. they drive them in and countersink, making them near impossible to remove. I have drilled tiny holes on the opposite side and used a nail with a flattened head to drive the out, but that doesn't always work. Today I took in a job I preobably shouldn't have. A pair of swivel bar stools with lose legs. The legs had screws driven into the joints at the top which I don't consider a problem. However, every spindle camr from the factory with a nail driven in at an angle.

when doing repair work we often see poor repair jobs but this time it is poor assembly from the start. Any ideas here?

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.