| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Restoring a very old leather covered trunk

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-222-4.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 2/22/5 16:05

In Response To: Re: Restoring a very old leather covered trunk (Greg Scholl)

Jim, One of the first pieces of furniture I ever restored is a very old oak secretary with very intricate brass hinges and fittings. It is a very valuable piece right now, but would be worth a whole lot more if it hadn't been refinished. I was pretty ignorant back in 1970, what I did wasn't a tragedy as it had been refinished before. Another thing I did was spend hours polishing the brass, not knowing that also negatively affects the value. My point here is that I question the wisdom of polishing the brass at all. If you want it shiney by all means polish, but be aware it will hurt the value of your trunk. I warn customers all the time about such things but most of them want something usable and nice looking. Personally I love seeing old brass come to life again. By the way, I use Brasso but that's just left over from my days in the Navy. Roger

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.