| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Antique chairs

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-222-4.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 2/22/5 15:40

In Response To: Antique chairs (Bobby)

Bobby, I get worried when I hear of people driving nails into old furniture. Why would you want to in the first place!? Metal should always be your last choice in making repairs. When I do repairs on furniture it always costs the customer more when they do things like drive nails into a chair rung, etc. Its a real nightmare trying to get a countersunk nail out of a loose spindle or rung! As the piece is used - especially a chair, the wood flexes and the metal just wallows out a larger hole, making nails and screws a poor repair. If there wasn't a screw or nail originally it doesn't belong there now.

The simple fact is that glues today are so strong that a good bond ends up stonger than the wood itself. If your chairs are loose, carefully knock them apart, clean off as much of the old glue as you can, reglue, and clamp. Use regular old white woodworkers glue or one of the new urethane glues, but forget hot glue! It isn't made for wood and globing it around a joint only makes a big mess.

As far as cleaning and restoring goes, check here in the archives or read what I wrote above concerning the mahogany furniture. Roger

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.