| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Mahogany Furniture

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-222-4.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 2/22/5 15:04

In Response To: Mahogany Furniture (Janet Rush)

Janet, If the finish is basically on good shape, ie. no major gouges or checked finish, the best thing to do is to try and clean it first. My tried and true method is to first wipe it down with mineral spirits (paint thinner). After that I wash it with trisodium phosphate (TSP). Old finishes are prone to water damage so go carefully there. Do small areas at a time, drying as you go so the water doesn't soak in. After that a good coat of furniture wax will help protect it.

I am not into using ready made products but I finally broke down and bought a wood cleaner made by Minwax. I caution my customers about using Pledge as it is loaded with silicone, and they always ask what they SHOULD use. Now I tell them about the Minwax product. Just be sure to follow the directions and test it in an out of the way spot. It doesn't shine the piece but it does do a good job of cleaning. I use it on all my personal furniture. If you want more shine then just use some wax as I said before. By the way, I found the cleaner at Sears Hardware. Roger

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.