| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Bubble problem with newly applied wood veneer

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool247-251.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 2/14/5 10:37

In Response To: Bubble problem with newly applied wood veneer (Doug Boland)

I never use this material, and this is one reason why, I think you can take some scraps which I hope you saved. Test the adhesive to see if a second glue will then stick to it. You could insert a syringe needel into the bubble and inject the new adnesive, and flatten out the bubble. The real question may be what sort of stain and finish went on over the new veneer, and what was the condition of the surface it was glued onto? What was the temperature at varioys times along this event, beginning to end? I used contact cement for the last time when a client took a freshly veneered and stored it in a freezing cold storage building. Same thing, bubbles, I did restick the voids with a clothes iron, but learned my lesson. Contact cement used to be very very strong, now it has been modified for less expense in production, it works fine for plastic laminent, but put it between two layers of open grain veneer and stain and lacquer it. The results will leave you screaming! My best advice to any serious refinisher is, vacuum bagging and uria-formaldahide glue. That will work under the most untenable situations. Good luck, and let us know if anything works, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.