| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Water rings/damage on trunk

Posted By: Roger DeMuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-214-206.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 2/10/5 15:16

In Response To: Re: Water rings/damage on trunk (James Schooley)

Julie, Why is it I always get in behind James!? It makes it look as though I disagree with everything James says but in fact I usually agree. I use the same methods in most cases.

The rings you have are caused by water soaking into the shellac - or sometimes lacquer. Older lacquers tend to act like shellac when water hits it. However, if the rings aren't too bad, you might try rubbing a little vasoline on the rings. Let it sit overnight and wipe off. It doesn't always work but I prefer that to resorting to a solvent which, if you aren't careful may partly remove the finish. Alchohol will remove shellac, and lacquer thinner will remove lacquer, so it takes a delicate touch. If the vasoline doesn't work, then try the alchohol. If that doesn't work try lacquer thinner, but as James said......one swipe only. Waxing will prevent a repeat but only as long as the wax lasts. Invest in some coasters! I know coasters are old fashioned but hey - the furniture is old too!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.