| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Upholstering an antique chair

Posted By: JIM <jarr71864@aol.com> (199.76.145.101)
Date: 2/8/5 16:03

In Response To: Upholstering an antique chair (Jean)

Hi Jean -

the best place to get an answer to your question is at UPHOLSTER.com - its a forum, just like this restoration forum but for upholstery concerns - rather than wood - and since your chair wood is in good condition, and the joints are all sound, i think your next step is to check out that web site - there are tons of pages of info on how to do things - easiest to check that out, before posting your question - also - there are plenty of great books on remaking antique upholstered furniture -

i have done some antique chair upholstery - and i dont want to discourage you - its greatly rewarding - the techniques differ ALOT from modern techniques, and the materials are often a little hard to find (try buying new horsehair in the US - very expensive, IF you can find it) double or even triple check your springs, as almost always, the springs are what cause alot of upholstery to fail - and if you spend alot of time and $$ redoing the chair to look pretty, but the springs arent truely stable, youre stuck with a chair you either cant use, or hate since the structure for your pretty fabric stinks. research as much as you can before diving it, it can be VERY time consuming (alot of stitching is involved in traditional uphostery, while not difficult, it takes alot of time) and very expensive so its best to know what you are in for, before you get stuck - best of luck !!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.