| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

how to glue-up multiple joints

Posted By: JIM <jarr71864@aol.com> (199.76.145.101)
Date: 1/31/5 09:26

hi all -

I have a marble top victorian parlor table that needed all of its leg joints reglued - i got the assembly apart this weekend and now my concern is how to put it all back together - the removed marble top is very heavy and the wood is in great condition, no warping, no structural damage to the wood itself - it has four legs in three sections (2 glue joints in a straight line for each leg) - each leg attaches to both the table top (another glue joint), and again to a decorative X shaped stretcher where each leg attaches with 2 glue joints at each terminal of the X - its all doweled construction and ill be using a basic waterbased wood glue - the marble is not attached, it just sits on the table top

My concern is: 1. should i glue-up in sessions - gluing each leg, then secure them to the X stetcher after they dry, then add the table top - or 2. glue all the joints at once (which is what im leaning toward) - im concerned about gluing up too many joints at once (each leg would have a total of five joints to glue, thats 20 wet glue joints at once), but my bigger concern is dried joints that kep me from fitting another joint together - i think the all at once method would give me the ability to move joints a bit to ensue all joints are solid and flat - any thoughts are appreciated

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.