| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: restoring a camel back travel trunk

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool247-16.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 11/30/4 10:22

In Response To: restoring a camel back travel trunk (karen)

If the metal is heavly rusted then you could use Naval Jelly to derust the surface and repaint. I have removed light rust with Naptha, a brass bristle brush, and 00 steel wool, when light work is all that is needed. A fine wire wheel in a drill or hobby grinder will be a big help as well, always use a fine wire wheel so as not to scratch the metal too badly. The paint on these was almost like a very thin stain, and most likely had lead in it, so read a previous thread on that topic and wear good protective gear, a paint stripper is best for lead paint removal befor stirring up all that dust and sending it into the furnace and all over the house. A metholenechloride type stripper (also bad for the furnace abd water heater) is most effective on oil base paint, read all the labels and follow them closely. I am using a leather dye to simulate the black or drown paint on these pieces so that a restoration of the original paint is possible there. The leather dye is so thin that one or two coats can cover the bare metal without looking like a thick new coat of paint. Then I cover the repair with a couple coats of spray lacquer or shellac depending on the nature of the remainder of the work. As I will often be glazeing and staining and lacquering everything all together. You can find more about trunk restoration on my web site furnitureissues.com goodluck, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.