| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

rough finish.

Posted By: RitaA <ramjar@earthlink.net> (03-069.142.popsite.net)
Date: 11/28/4 17:33

Hi: I recently purchased a pre-1930's New Home treadle sewing machine... how pre 1930's I don't know, but doubt more than 10 years or so..

The finish on it seems to be in fairly decent condition in spite of being in an unheated, unairconditioned garage for the last 3 years...

The dilemma I face is this.. there is a "roughness" to the finish, top and sides, which is not visible to the eye, but any fabric placed on it tends to feel like it is snagging on something, when moved..

I have no idea of type of wood, nor type of finish.. what should I do to start, and would it be relatively safe to Gently buff with 0000 steel wool? What would be the next step to condition the existing finish? I don't particularly care if it is refinished or reconditioned.. just want it looking nice, and be able to use it both as a sewing machine and a piece of furniture..

I've read threads until my eyes hurt and I lost my train of thought... I think my train derailed, so any help would be Greatly appreciated...

RitaA in Oregon.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.