| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: butcher block

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 10/15/4 22:33

In Response To: butcher block (Tim)

Hi Tim, unfortunately almost all commercial stains have toxic properties..there may be some water based stains derived from plants, but not usually in shades of brown, although I seem to remember reading some where about a stain rendered from walnut shells or Buckwheat hulls. reduced Coffee is another possible source for stain, yet it's hard to imagine being able to successfully stain something with these without imparting some type of possible flavor issue, and rock Maple, which I'm assuming your block is made of, is notoriously hard to stain, especially if it's had a coating on it. A sharp cabinet scraper will probably yield better and faster results with this blocks resurfacing, followed by a light sanding, just be careful as you scrape, as the scraper will get hot and hot enough to burn and blister your fingers....There are several products on the market for protecting Butcher blocks from Behlen, Preserve, etc. I'll be interested to read some of the other replies on this one.....regards

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.