| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: a more durable finish for a dining table

Posted By: Roger DeMuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-68-72-215-97.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 10/7/4 17:09

In Response To: Re: a more durable finish for a dining table (ran shel)

Can we really assume the old finish has deteriorated chemically. Probably has with the yellow scratches in it. That might however be on the top part of the old finish. Lacquer (as opposed to polyurethane forms on thick coat as each new coat put on partially melts the one underneath). I would consider lightly wiping the old finish with lacquer thinner to amalgomate. When it dries (about an hour to be safe) lightly sand with 400 grit paper to smooth it out.

JUst about all refinishers agree that shellac will seal just about anything and anything can be applied over it. If you were to apply a coat of clear shellac over the old finish and sand it to smooth it out, then apply a couple of coats of urethane, it should come out pretty good.

On the other hand if it looks like crap, find a professional to do it for you. MInd you, I would not do this professionally but when I waste time I waste a customers money. A DIYer wastes a few dollars and some time. I think this would work though. I have done urethane over lacquer quite successfully.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.