| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Woodworm

Posted By: Roger DeMuth <fero@sbcgloal.net> (adsl-68-72-215-97.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 10/7/4 16:38

In Response To: Woodworm (Peter Yorston)

I have on occasion dealt with wood worms. The problems is that there is no way to know if the little buggers are still in the wood without cutting it apart. In the past to make sure, I would saturate the wood with insecticide, although what is the best aI don't know. I think I used to use one that has been banned now! The problem is that many insecticides have a petroleum base, leaving oil residue in the wood. To counteract that I saturate again with lacquer thinned. Now I think about it, how many bugs could survive lacquer thinner anyway? Some where in the deep dark recesses of my mind though I seem to remember that woodworms only like live wood. Don't quote me on that though.

As long as the wood is sound you should be alright after treatment. The presence of worm holes at one time was considered a big plus - to the point where they used to "splatter" wood before finishing to make it look like there were worms there. I haven't seen that in a while in new furniture though. At any rate, the nasty chemicals use in stripping, cleaning and finishing would probably kill anything smaller than a man. (And I am sure after 30 years they are killing me!) In other words don't get too worked up over them. They are probably long gone.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.