| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Matching a Cushman Finish

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 8/28/4 09:02

In Response To: Re: Matching a Cushman Finish (Dennis)

Hi Dennis...yeah, that does look more like a dye based stain and a colored or "toned" topcoat...NGR's are basically analine dyes in Methanol/Alcohol vehicles...I mix my dye stains from TransTint Concentrates usually, which mix in water, alcohol, lacquer, even varnish if you mix them in a little Acetone first, but I do also have various stains from Mohawk and Behlen on hand...the beauty of Transtints, is that the colors are super concentrated and one lightens the tone from super dark rather than most stain mixing processes which find one trying to darken from lighter tones.And the colors in the dye stains are usually very lightfast and don't tend to fade. They can be tricky to apply to a larger surface because of the quick dry time, so sometimes using water based is advisable, and it takes some practice to get the color even...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.