| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Gorilla Glue?????

Posted By: Randall Brown <rbrown1@powernet.org> (0-1pool27-243.nas5.huntsville2.al.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 8/25/4 20:19

In Response To: Re: Gorilla Glue????? (Greg Scholl)

Another unfortunate example of not thoroughly reading what one is responding to. What I opined was merely an option should a veneer repair not be possible, because not everyone can do this. When entire pieces of veneer are lifting and the wood substrate is appealing, I would probably not bother with replacing the veneer. And again, what might not look appealing to one might be beautiful to another. As to surface tension, when the underside of a panel where the veneer has been removed is scored, the tension will equalize. Prompt finishing will seal the wood and I have never had a problem with warping. As to customers knowing what I am doing, as though I am somehow doing something dishonest, I do exactly what I am requested to do. Gentlemen, what I am describing here is procuring absolutely wretched, neglected pieces and doing what can be done to return them to a functional state. I may market some of these pieces but the majority are used by family and friends. I do what I do out of an absolute enjoyment of returning something that some might toss out on a burnpile to an object of beauty. It would be ludicrous to strip down a piece that was in good condition, and I would never do this as some sort unbending approach to "restoration" in every case. You folks seem to wallow in semantics and you blindly criticize what you obviously don't understand. I thought this might be a forum for sharing ideas and learning. I have been disappointed and you will now be rid of me. Thanks anyway.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.