| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Estey organ

Posted By: Raymond L. Watkins <accurend@comcast.net> (c-67-172-197-151.client.comcast.net)
Date: 8/19/4 22:24

In Response To: Re: Estey organ (mal hotte)

I repaired the bellows in my grandmothers pump organ like this. I coated cheese cloth with rubber cement and patched the creases that flexed where the holes/splits were. I then placed another layer of cloth over the patch pependicular to the first layer of cheese cloth while over coating an ever increasingly larger area with more rubber cement. I let the repair dry overnight. I then sprinkled the entire area with talcum powder to keep the repaired bellows from sticking to one another.

The largest enemy of a reed pump organ is dirt and dust. They actually work off of vacume, the bellows when pumped forms a vacume by sucking the air from the large wood box above the bellows that the keys are mounted onto. When you press a key it in turn opens a valve below the brass reed, allowing air to pass over the reed thus making the sound of that particular note.

I have cleaned/restored and repaired several pump organs, I have had my grandmothers pump organ for about 30 years and still play it once and a while.. I repaired the bellows in 1973 as described above and cleaned every part by disassembling and cleaning the entire internal assembly.

Raymond

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.