| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

1900-teens 20's ? Steamer trunk

Posted By: Max <bjfeit@aol.com> (cache-ntc-aa09.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 8/5/4 13:05

Man this thing is heavy.(could be the contents, if any. But I don't feel or hear anything ratteling around inside) It has a black body. It measures 40"long X 28"wide X 23" high. It has all brass fittings (Locks,latches,Hinges,). The locks are very sophisticated with a bank vault looking style key and are heavy duty. Also, light brown Leather corners throughout, with round brass nailings on 1/2" centers. The trunk also has 2 seperate compartments (approx.1/3 -2/3) seperately hinged. In the smaller section are seperate compartments for toiletries, etc. all lined with what appears to be royal blue crushed velvet inside and out, and in what appears to be good condition. I only opened the small section, I didn't want to damage the fabric, took a peak in one Drawer (compartment) and closed it up in case that needed restoration, and until I had more info. I have not attempted to unlock the large section (although I'm dyeing to see what's inside) again for fear of damage, until I get some input on how to restore the leather, all the brass, and clean the trunk body itself. ( I do not know what the body material is made of either). Any info (history)on mfg. and restoration materials to be used and how to use them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.MAX

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.