| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: polyurethane

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 8/4/4 10:59

In Response To: Re: polyurethane (Maureen Atkinson)

I swear by citrustrip nowadays for almost all clear finishes...it takes a little longer than Methylene Chloride strippers,but it's FAR safer and makes the shop smell nice and orangy..let the stripper do the work by laying on thick coats in one direction, (don't brush back and forth..), and then scrape off with a putty knife with rounded corners when you see it's dissolving the finish, and scrub with planer chips/steel wool. For an especially tough finish, I'll even sometimes lay plastic garbage bags over it to keep it wet longer. It tends to leave the surface more sticky than traditional more toxic strippers, so I usually apply another thin coat and then scrub it off again with less coarse steel wool and dry with rags...then after the surface is as dry as I can get it with rags/more planer chips,..I'll scrub it dry with #1 steel wool turning it frequently...After drying for an hour or so, I'll wash down the piece with WilBond or Mineral spirits and then let dry over night before the next step. Methylene Chloride is dangerous stuff..a known carcinigen it can prevent your blood from carrying oxygen, and when exposed to heat (open flame like a pilot light..) can form Phosgene gas which can kill..I haven't used it for over 15 years except for paint..and now I usually have painted pieces stripped by a stripper..and charge accordingly

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.