| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: What stain was used on a 1930's oak table?

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool247-36.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 8/3/4 22:45

In Response To: Re: What stain was used on a 1930's oak table? (Jim Cole)

If the piece is a mission oak item then there is a good chance that it was a fumed stain using amonia. This was the a trade secret of the Stickley furniture shop, but as will often happen, the word got out and it was being done a lot. You would stack the furniture in a sealed room, uncover the amonia with a wire and the next day air out the room, then bring out all the perfectly stained furniture all of one even color. And this was the color every one tried to copy, till the word got out. I am recreating this color with common stains and glazes with good results. A dark walnut stain with about 15% raw umber mixed in is close, but the final glaze of van dyke to settle into the grain really completes the look. If you need the exact finish schedual I can supply it to you. But I will need to make some adjustments for shellac if that is your final choice.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.