| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Not a furniture question

Posted By: Maxine <maxicakes@aol.com> (cache-dtc-ab03.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 7/16/4 21:35

I realize this is an antique furniture board but since most of you are antique restores, I thought someone might have some ideas for me. I have a large oval copper container about 12" across, 24" long and 14" deep. It has a domed cover and was at one time part of a still. I'm trying to clean it so that the copper shows. The lid, including the attached coil, cleaned quite nicely but I'm having problems with the bottom. The copper is showing through in several places but there still appears to be a black layer over most of it. I'm assuming it just build up from being on a fire. So far I have been unable to remove it. Copper cleaners only work on the areas where the copper is already exposed. I haven't been too aggressive because I don't want to damage it. Is there any type of cleaner or mild abrasive that might work? I don't want it to look like a new penny but I do want it to be obvious that it is copper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.