| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

removing leather and tack nails from chair

Posted By: Nancy Holliday <nholli@suffolk.lib.ny.us> (pool-151-205-181-251.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: 7/4/4 19:07

I got a pretty dining chair for $5.00 at a yard sale. However at some point a padded leather cushion was added to the back(It's stuffed with wood shavings or something). I know it was added because it was covering some of the pretty carving on the chair. It is glued and tacked-on all around the edges. Then someone decided to go shabby chic and slopped white paint all over the entire chair. Aaaghhh!! I'm having a devil of a time getting this leather off. The large heads of the furniture tacks come off, leaving the nail in. I managed to get one out.It has a piece slipped over it with 2 prongs(I suppose that's what held the head of the tack). It would be easier(I think) if I could remove all the glued-on edges and better see the nails. Any ideas on how to dissolve it without ruining the wood? I'm not expecting a fine antique out of this, I just love making treasure out of trash.(My Mom always says $2.00 in materials and 300 hours of labor!!). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.