| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Trunk Restoration Question

Posted By: Lisa Martin <lisam965@hotmail.com> (cache-dtc-ab03.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 6/29/4 01:19

I'm restoring an old, family trunk with a rounded top. It's dated 1875 on the latch. It had many coats of paint, which I have already stripped, and I cleaned the tin along the top and sides. I was told that I should not paint the metal (even though some of the silver is showing through - it is predominantly black), and I should not fill any cracks in the wood because it will not blend in very well when I finish the trunk. I was going to use a tung oil and mineral spirit finish. Does anyone know if this is how old trunks are usually restored? I've checked many websites, and they all use different methods.

I was wondering, if I used wood filler, how would it look when it's covered with the tung oil finish? Or would it be better just to leave it alone, and apply the finish by itself? I have a few areas that have cracks, or splits, due to age. One on the top is the worse one, about 1/4 of an inch wide. Otherwise the trunk looks nice.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.