| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Pokerwork cake stand

Posted By: janice <jessiekelly96@hotmail.com> (cache1-glfd.server.ntli.net)
Date: 6/26/4 08:19

First let me say, having just found your site I am fascinated with the discussions and already tempted to seek advice. I recently bought an old - possibly 100 y.o.- art & crafts 3 tier cakestand. I must declare that I am not an antique connoisseur but a complete newbie though for nearly 60 years I have been active in all manner of DIY - did some French polishing about 50 years ago, for instance. Mended Mum's chairs just after WWII, straightening and reusing tacks etc etc. Have just stripped an elm/beech Ercol coffe table (1960s) and waiting to decide the best finish...

The cakestand was caked with dirt and wax which is largely removed. I think the wood may well be beech, stained to mahogany effect. Brown shoe polish may well be what I have largely removed from edges of the plates

The plates have a beautiful lily pad with lizard and dragonfly design and with considerable evidence of the original colouring....simple.....blue, pink, green....bleached by light on the top plate with just the poker pattern left

I have got to the stage where I am conscious of the need not to cause any irreversible damage. Should I leave the paintwork as it is OR is it worth trying to restore it. I wonder what kind of paint would have been used? This is a real artisanal /amateur piece so we are talking unsophistocated, I feel. I have photos if that would help.

Janice

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.