| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Help with old trunk

Posted By: Michelle <BSMS8793@aol.com> (cache-gtc-ab07.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 6/17/4 23:12

I am working to restore a trunk that belonged to my grandfather. Originally the wood on the top, sides, and bottom was covered with something that must have been canvas, but which came off looking and feeling like thick, thick paper. Of course, there is also wood strapping and metal corners and such. I am having trouble identifying the material that covers the edges of the lid and the side edges. It is held down with tacks and I thought it was leather, but it feels very hard and stiff like posterboard. That may just be due to neglect and age, but since I don't know what it is I don't know how to clean and restore it. Can you tell me what it might be or how I can figure it out and also what to do to clean/restore it?

Also, when I started to remove the paper lining I discovered that the paper was attached to cardboard and sandwiched between these layers was a piece of newsprint. I would like to preserve as much of the newspaper as possible for clues to the origins of the trunk. What is the best way to separate the layers while causing as little damage as possible?

Thanks!

Michelle

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.