| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Antique wormy heart of pine

Posted By: James Schooley (0-2pool241-169.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 6/6/4 12:50

In Response To: Antique wormy heart of pine (Mark Sheffield)

Resawing is a tricky tast, often the blade wanders and it requires a pretty substancial motor, you don't want to burn it up! I suppose that you would be miles ahead by using the joists full width and enjoying the stout solid platform you would get, these are old boards and may be weak. The tounges that are split won't make a big deal as long as you are cautious about their placement. Put them around the edges, or just put some glue into the split as the go back together and let the fit do your clamping for you. As for planeing the old wood be very careful of old nails, you can get a metal detector so you don't wreck the knives in the planer. I would just sand them down after installation, you may need to do that anyway so lets simplify that. A pressure washer can be used to clean off the dirt etc. but I would just use a mop and bucket and let the sun dry the off. Let the floor sander do the rest, wear a good filter mask and blow what you can out the window with a furnace filter in front of a box fan to catch the majority of the bad dust, lead debree, mold spores, etc.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.