| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Cleaning Old Glass Knobs

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool246-147.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 5/26/4 21:15

In Response To: Cleaning Old Glass Knobs (Carolyn)

Some old glass will turn a violet color after many years exposed to the sun, this is permanent and is considered atractive or quaint by most antique lovers. I am not certain that glass knobs came on any thing other than some birds eye maple furniture from the 1920's. However it was popular to put them on new cabinets in the kitchen and bath, and after a time folks would use them where ever they saw the need. I often have to show customers the old imprints left by the original handels or photos of their furniture in books to convince them that the glass knobs are not original. Still if they are in love with them that's fine by me, some one can always switch them later if the new owners want. You may consider going to a refinisher to see if they have removed some violet or pink knobs, and will let you switch with them. You could have knobs from a few different sources. As for the cleaning, a paint stripper will loosen the paint, even oven cleaner will work. The dull look can be removed with a mix of bakeing soda and white vinegar. This is a safe polish for glass, use an old tooth brush or a soft cotton buffing wheel to work the polish. Rinse off the remains wipe dry and replace them onto the furniture.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.