| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Brass bed polish & lacquer: DIY? Hire a pr

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool247-186.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 5/20/4 23:08

In Response To: Brass bed polish & lacquer: DIY? Hire a pro? (Cass)

If you think your time is free then you CAN do the job for less. My time is not free for me as long as I am doing work, the brasso will take many many hours and the final resualt won't be as good as a the job the pros will do. You think you can get the same finish from a spray can, you are wrong. The tank is for removing the finish, the tank will not polish the brass that must be done mechanically or with a rag like you have suggested. The best way to polish a brass bed is with jewlers rouge and a high speed polishing wheel, that will give you a mirror like finish, brasso won't give you the same quality of bright burnishing or remove the fine scratches. Your wife must be a saint, my wife would toss the brasso at me and say you go right ahead! The lacquer will not go on over brasso as you suggest, it must be cleaned off with a solvent, handeled with cotton gloves and wrapped up piece by piece to keep air from the polished brass or it will start to tarnish and the last piece will not match the others. These guys are not ripping you off, the rate they are quoting is the going rate for most brass beds + or - 100.00 you won't find much differance. Lastly you won't have any one to stand behind the job if you do it yourself. I just saw a home job brass bed and after 10 years it needs to be done over. The finish was not very good quality and has become hazey, the color is dark and there are finger prints under the lacquer. If you are as cheep as I think you are you should go and do the job yourself and see what you get. Do these guys a favor and stay away, they don't need the bother.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.