| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Brass bed polish & lacquer: DIY? Hire a pro?

Posted By: Cass <casstyson@hotmail.com> (pcp229417pcs.catonv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: 5/20/4 13:04

I have a queen size brass bed that is pretty well tarnished. I've gotten quotes to have it professionally polished and lacquered for $750 to $900. When I ask these pros about doing it myself, they tell me it's best to take the whole thing apart and dip each piece in a large vat of special polish, which of course I don't have. Then they talk about how you have to buy the lacquer in 5 gallon drums, thin it just so, spray it on carefully in an absolutely clean environment with a special sprayer, yadda yadda. And of course, the process is very labor intensive. In other words, "You don't want to do it yourself, you want to pay me to do it for you."

On the other hand, it took my wife 20 minutes to polish one section of it with Brasso, and it looks great. We could probably do the whole bed in a day if we decided to, but we're more likely to do a piece or two a week for the next few weeks. Is there some reason I wouldn't want to do it that way?

I do like the idea of not having to polish it again for 20 years, which allegedly is the reason for the lacquer. Is it OK to lacquer over Brasso?

I found a kit called Staybrite with a polish and a spray-on laquer. Would this be a better alternative? Anyone care to comment on this product?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cass

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.