| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Antique wormy heart of pine

Posted By: Mark Sheffield <markkatie@att.net> (80.atlanta-14-15rs.ga.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 5/9/4 17:01

Hello all: I need some advice. Few years back I beat the demon-wrecking ball and pulled up a few rooms worth of Heart of Pine from a 19C home. I got the surface floor, the sub-floor,(both T&G) and some of the floor joists. The subfloor and joists are original and I want to install them in a home we recently purchased ( have the joists re-sawn).

The sub-floor (5" wide/3/4" thick) are age and dirt-gray and "hole-y" from the square-nails use to attach the top floor.

How should I proceed? Options I have considered: install "as-is" and sand them down;have them re-planed, then installed; pressure-treat to get the dirt and age off, then install.

I was very careful to keep tongues intack, but some did spit on removal. Should I : glue em'-clamp em'; have them re-tongued; ignore them.

Lastly, I am slowly building shop, and if I were to consider re-sawing the joists myself, what size and make of Band-saw (single phase) should I look for?

Thanks for the assistance! Mark

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.