| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: repairing sun damaged spar poly cedargarage do

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool246-245.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/15/4 00:06

In Response To: Re: repairing sun damaged spar poly cedargarage do (Greg Scholl)

You will never get the look you want with the finish you are using. The recoat will continue to flake due to the short life span of poly in a direct sun / exterior setting. I see this all the time, it's sad that this stuff is advertised as being good for this sort of thing, it's just not flexible enough. They say it's harder, but that's just "add speak" for brittle, to me. All the poly will need to be removed in order to apply a suitable finish. You may consider sand blasting if the present surface is rough. That way you may be able to retain a rough look, all be it another sort of rough. If you have a smooth surface, this can be removed with an automotive sander, in order to maintain the smooth surface. You can rent one and a compresser, just tell what you need it for so they can get you the right stuff.

One exterior cedar surface I finished was with four coats of Spar Varnish, they have it cleaned, scuffed, and recoated every two or three years. After 15 years it still looks like it did on day one. The sun shines on it half the day so take it for what it's worth. I have heard good things about varithane, a painter in your area with a good reputation can give you some more advice on your specific situation.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.