| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Wood type?

Posted By: Holli Gribbons <h.gribbons@insightbb.com> (12-223-88-46.client.insightbb.com)
Date: 4/4/4 19:21

In Response To: Wood type? (Holli Gribbons)

I did some stripping on this thing yesterday while it was warm. What I thought was yellow paint was really some sort of finish that was applied over the paint. The finish had aged to an almost caramel yellow. The paint under that was white. Under the white paint there was no finish so I am going to assume that it was painted white when made because the paint seems to be in the grain. The grain is VERY tight and smooth. When the paint comes off it is like a baby's butt. After 3 applications of stripper and some vigourous scrubbing with a stripping brush I don't think I ever even raised the grain. I didn't get much done even though I worked on it all day. Before I quit for the day I knocked off that top coat of whatever to help speed the process for next time. Here are some photos of what I was able to expose of the wood. Does any of this help in identifying what kind of wood it is? Holli

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.