| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Hardwood Floors

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (0-1pool246-100.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/4/4 13:00

In Response To: Hardwood Floors (Holli Gribbons)

I don't know of any one book that is about floors, the library will have how-to books that are good, pick a couple and that will give you a few referances to work from. I left the carpet in till the kids quit crawling and I wish I had taken the carpets up sooner. The rugs didn't help at all, just added to the dirt down there, and the old floors still look great. The moisture in the floor won't change with or with out the rugs as long as the rugs aren't wet, so pull it up and refinish when ever you wish. The current finish is almost certainly shellac as that was all people put on home floors till the late fifties. I hope that steam cleaning hasn't gone on previous to this as that can ruin a finish and possibly the wood. Expect that the rugs were put down for a good reason. Maybe the rugs are hiding the worn spots as the finish around the registers will not have had much wear. I have cleaned my old shellac floors, and dewaxed, the results were great, just make sure that you have fresh shellac. Three years from the mixing date is too old. Some people buy the shellac in flake, button, form etc. and mix with denatured alcohol so it will be fresh. A little recoat will help you see what is possible you can always remove it if it's not going to work for you. Go ahead and pull up a corner, you can put it back down if what is below looks awful. Then you can come back and get some more advice.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.