| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Water mark on wood humidor

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/4/4 01:11

In Response To: Re: Water mark on wood humidor (James Schooley)

Most common? In 25 years of restoring furniture I don't think I have ever seen water trapped in a finish especially after 3 years!Except when a fresh finish such as nitro cellulose lacquer or shellac blushes from excess humidity.....I have seen a finish affected by water (white rings, black tannin staining, flaking)....but water will dry rather quickly from any finish, leaving behind a damaged finish. What Andrew is describing is a typical area of finish damage... Which is the most common damage I see....water has removed the finish...it happens all the time,typically very thin shellac or wax which has little or no resistance to wetness, is the most common finish failure.As for your method to remove blushing, the use of a blush eraser in an aerosol can, which would be much more effective, not to mention quicker and would only subject the spot that needs it to the remedy.It will also happen immediately when you spray on the product you will see it happen in seconds if that is truly the problem.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.