| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Water mark on wood humidor

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (0-1pool246-206.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/3/4 23:42

In Response To: Re: Water mark on wood humidor (Greg Scholl)

What I said is that water is traped in the finish, not the wood, it is the most common problem we see here and in shops all over the country. The moisture will escape, often, when a fresh finish is applied or as I have said a chemical softens the finsh long enough for the moisture to evaporate. A careful wipe with alcohol may do the same, but can result in smearing the finish. Since the poster has said that the white area is the same shape as an ash tray, I would think that it is not a bare spot in the finish. How could that happen? Not very likely. You can remove a blush from a small item such as this by placing it inside a plastic trash bag with a small dish of alcohol, tightly close the bag with a lot of air inside, avoid letting the bag touch the item sides or spilling the alcohol. After a few hours the blush will be gone, open and allow the finish to reharden, avoid touching the finish till it has had about an hour to dry.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.