| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: polyurethane bad choice?

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool246-225.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/3/4 21:13

In Response To: polyurethane bad choice? (Bret)

I'm not happy with the same "look" you mention, as well, there are draw backs in the sense that poly can't be polished. Recently I had a painter come to me for advice after he couldn't get a fresh coat of poly to stick to some cabinets he was refinshing. Now he was freaked out, because he remembered when, earlier I had told him not to use this finish, but he said he didn't believe me. Now he had a big mess, he had been called back after a couple years to fix bare spots on the same cabinet doors. He had cleaned, sanded, stained and was in the process of recoating with some more poly. The doors looked awful, the finish wasn't going on smooth, and when he tried to light sand, the last coat started to peal off like plastic wrap. Now he was thinking he would have to strip and refinish the whole kitchen. I suggested that there was a slim chance that a coat of shellac would stick to the mess. He went off feeling pretty skeptical, but when I saw him the next time he had a giant grin. The shellac had worked, he was able to coat and polish out the shellac and was very impressed. He said he had always been told that shellac was crap, now he uses it all the time. So consider this solution, there is still hope.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.