| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: refinishing teak bench

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/2/4 22:39

In Response To: Re: refinishing teak bench (James Schooley)

Well james..I got invloved here to hopefully help...you state in your first sentence that the varnish will need touch up and care, obviously so would an oil based product...however as I'm sure you're aware, the oil will not chip, peel, flake and trap black mold and mildew the way a surface coating absolutely will...you have to apply at least 3 coats of a good spar to a surface like this..at least 6 mils or so of film...and go from there..the boat owners I know are not "split" on this matter...they don't like to deal with peeling, flaking varnish with black mildew and mold under it every 6 months to a year, and they like to instead lightly sand, wash with turps and re oil their teak with a high quality formulation or perhaps something like Australian Timber Products Woodman's coating.Please try not to preach so much...others have a wealth of knowledge to share in practical application of solutions that might be contrary to yours, but as good or perhaps, even better..

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.