| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Dry Rot Diagnosis

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/2/4 22:21

In Response To: Re: Dry Rot Diagnosis (James Schooley)

I wouldn't strip anything,and ruin the original finish....I use a hypodermic needle and slowly inject anywhere that I can't access with brushing or dripping from a small squeeze bottle,..if there is ooze to "grind" off then you've way over saturated the area and probably ruined the old finish by saturating the area too quickly and not being careful....there will be many areas to access the wood..end grain where the paint undoubtedly will be missing, etc and the needle for any other areas that will make an invisible hole...it's ok to be cautious..but there are very few ways to solidify this type of situation, and to suggest that a home inspector should be paid to come in and test the moisture content of the wood in a purely decorative item is frankly...a waste of time and money.Stripping these window frames would ruin them,I would absolutely advise against that...I have treated many, many objects like this...and it's fairly straight forward, you only have so many options. You're summation of the cause is already correct....they now need to be solidified and preserved WITHOUT ruining their appearance, which is entirely possible,..I can state that without even seeing them...let alone paying a home inspector to get involved!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.