| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Gold freakin' paint on my daughters

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool247-114.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/2/4 21:53

In Response To: Gold freakin' paint on my daughters (Lori's husband)

If the stripper doesn't have metholene chloride in it it is not as strong as ones that do. So check this first, a nail polish remover is often tougher than some paint strippers, and people put this stuff on their skin, but are afraid of strong paint strippers? (BTW none of this stuff goes on my skin) Anyway try some nail polish remover, if it loosens the gold paint then it is possible you just need a better stripper. One thing that you must check is what is under the gold, it may be a plaster over cast that is moulded to the wood and the gold has soaked into this and that is why it is so stubburn in comming off. Choose an out of the way spot and shave off some of the gold, if there is white underneath you have plaster, tan would be composition. Composition is easily destroyed with stripper, proceed with caution and don't get the compo too wet for too long with stripper. If you don't have solid wood we have an altogether new problem. and that will come next. Good luck, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.