| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Bad old repairs on bird's eye maple dresser

Posted By: James Schooley (0-2pool241-223.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 2/18/4 01:55

In Response To: Bad old repairs on bird's eye maple dresser (Nancy)

You need to strip first since you will find more loose spots when the stripping is done, I know this to be true. Find a source for the repair material, call around or buy somthing with no use, a piano part or some junk chair. Soften the old hide glue with steam from a steam iron held away from the suraces about an inch. Espresso machines work great too, you will need some plastic tube and an oven mitt. In special spots vinegar will do so as not to loosen the whole sheet of veneer. Use a brand new utility blade to cut a diamond shape hole that matches the diamond shape repair patch you will cut from the repair material, first. You can glue the patch once it is sanded to size and is a good fit, using a liquid hide glue, now in good stores hear you. Clean off the excess glue with white vinegar and place waxed paper and a clamping pad over the patch, wait till dry. (peek if you wish to make shure all is well) If you must replace a whole drawer face, you can purchase new veneer, (iron on veneer is not my favorite) but it may have less birds eyes per sq. in. than the other fronts, not good! One can, with practice paint a decent birds eye with an NGR stain and an artist's brush, glaze, or touch-up markers, practice, practice, practice. Some will use contact cement to affix veneer to furniture and curves, as the right amount will hold the thin veneer to a fair bend, when all is properly glued up. Several coats required, and some testing, mabey on a junk chair that just happens to be lying about. I use a vacuum bag and a ureia formaldehide glue to do this sort of work, frustration with the quality of contact cement and the tendancy for stains and finishes to loosen my new veneer. But don't let thet scare you off, you can always use good ole animal hide glue and sand bags like the old timers, sometimes I think they had it all figured out. Caution, Liquid Hide Glue, from your local hardware store is too slow to work like real (stinky) hide glue for sheet work like a drawer front.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.