| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

making table leaves

Posted By: Joel Peters <joelbpeters@cox.net> (ip68-11-228-239.br.no.cox.net)
Date: 2/6/4 18:14

I viewed the recent messages on this subject, but must state that I am very new at this and didn't totally understand some of the comments. I am also restoring a mahogany veneered dining table that belonged to my parents and was probably purchased about 1950 (not an antique). It had 3 leaves at one time - now has none. I want to make new leaves but am not sure how to go about it. Two suggestions so far have been: 1) use mahogany plywood and band the edges, or 2) use cabinet grade plywood, then veneer the top and band the edges. The leaves will also need skirts. The existing skirt on the table is veneered. One of you commented previously about using other materials and methods. Did you mean using a secondary wood, gluing, then veneering the top? In my ignorance, this is probably what I would have done, but also understand about the stability of plywood etc. Also, I am not familiar with the term "breadboard" -what does that mean? Regarding thickness - the current top is exactly 3/4" thick, including the veneer. This will be my first trip to the lumber store to buy this type of materials. Help!!!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.