| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: How to produce an "antique" finish

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool247-211.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 1/4/4 02:52

In Response To: Re: How to produce an "antique" finish (Benton Ham)

Art stores have it for printmaking as an acid resist, the technique is a bit tricky. My experience with quartersawn oak is that most new wood won't look the same as the old growth wood we see in antiques. This wood was very select and today any quartersawn is sold to the consumer reguardless of it's ability to show good amber rays as is evident in the golden oak antiques I think we both seek to duplicate. First I use an analine dye to bring out a high ray sennia color in the rays. Next I use an orange shellac or fruit wood toner in a lacquer sealler. This sets the dye and allows me to brush on a burnt umber glaze and wipe away the excess, again I apply a few sealer coats, this time with clear, and light scuff sanding in between coats. Next a glaze of van dyke or raw umber depending on the effect needed, this is for age and I wipe to resemble a build up in the corners etc. More sealler and then a couple coats of top coat lacquer, gloss is best for clarity but will need to be buffed to a satin or polished with paraffin oil and pumice stone or rhotten stone for a high shine.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.