| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

How to produce an "antique" finish

Posted By: David Moore <davidmoore@e-mantels.com> (cs2427103-224.houston.rr.com)
Date: 12/31/3 17:19

While I am proficient at woodworking, I'll be the first to admit that I have much to learn about various finishes. I'm hoping someone can help with my library project. I am in the midst of building a library in my home, entirely of quarter-sawn white oak. In my mind, I can picture how I want the finish to look, but I don't know how to achieve it. I want to make the wood surfaces look as close to 200 year old wood as possible. I've bought pieces of antique oak furniture before that have the appearance I'm looking for. The beauty of the wood is not covered by a thick layer of qlossy varnish, but rather looks very natural, aside from the stain pigment. Is this likely some sort of hand-rubbed oil finish? I'm not into distressing the wood, with nail-holes, dents and the like, but I would like a non-glossy, old-world look. Thanks for any advice.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.