| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

touching up an enamel topped table?

Posted By: lindsey <disassemblage@hotmail.com> (adsl-214-224-42.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: 12/15/3 11:09

hi!

i've an enamel topped table (looks like this, although this isn't mine: http://www.kenora.net/loft/enamel.jpg) recent rescued from my grandmother's garage. it's white with black edges. i'm interested in addressing the rust spots. i was thinking perhaps i could use a little steel wool to clean rust off and was hoping there is some kind of enamel replacement product to apply to the newly cleaned spots. my questions are as follows:

- i don't think the rust goes too deep, but what do i do if i find myself going through the metal under the enamel?

- is there, in fact, an enamel replacement product i should know about? because 'enamel paint' isn't exactly the same thing, is it? as a last resort, can i use enamel paint?

- if i can't get the tabletop clean enough so that the new enamel/paint matches, is there anything i need to know about making enamel/paint adhere to the existing enamel that is in fine condition?

thanks for any help! i'm new to restoration, but i'm very excited about it...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.