| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Oak Claw Foot Table

Posted By: Tom Keefer <tkeefer@sutron.com> (host.sutron.com)
Date: 12/11/3 07:58

I recently acquired my mother-in-law's circa-1900 claw foot table. It is 42-inches in diameter with a pedestal that splits to allow leaves to be used. It is in fairly bad condition, but restorable.

When I took the table apart to evaluate it, I found a set of unusual metal brackets inside the pedestal. I'm trying to find out what purpose these brackets served. They are screwed to the inside of the pedestal about 9 inches down from the point where the pedestal attaches to the top. These is a set inside each half of the pedestal. They are about 1.5 inches by 2 inches with hooked ends that are in close proximity when the pedestal is closed.

They may have been part of some kind of latching mechanism, but there is no additional hardware with the table, and no "shadows" in the finish or marks in the wood to indicate what might have made the brackets into a latch.

Does anyone out there know what these brackets are? I'd like to do a complete restoration and won't be able to unless I figure out what these brackets did and what else I need to make them functional.

If you have a table with this mechanism I would greatly appreciate a picture or two (would be glad to pay for postage and film if you aren't digital).

All help accepted and appreciated!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.